Devi Jagadambi Temple of Love Khajuraho Madhya Pradesh

Devi Jagadambi Temple also known as Jagadambika Temple , built by the Chandela rulers between 1000 AD to 1025. AD  originally it was dedicated to Lord Vishnu as the East facing door, the prominence given to the Lord Vishnu on the doorway to the sanctum.

Devi Jagdambika at Temple of Love Khajuraho

 

Few believe it a Parvati Temple and that Ma Kali image  ( Jagadamba) is actually an image of Parvati, painted black . The temple is on the same platform  the Kandariya  Mahadev but  small in height . The Garbhagriha is having a huge image of the Goddess (Devi) of the Universe (Jagdambi),

 

Devi Jagdambika with Kandaria Mahadev Temple , Temple of Love Khajuraho

It has  only one set of balconies, only one Mandap and no inner Pradakshina , It has some of the beautiful images in sculptures  . Apart from the normal female figures applying make-up and preening themselves, there are a number of lovers embracing and assigned to honor love and conjugal harmony, with figures of the divine couples and others depicting every mood of love , a mischievous woman tugging at lover’s beard .

Lady wearing thin skirt and body decorated jewels , gazing into a mirror

A woman with her beautiful back turned to the onlooker she is preoccupied in gazing at her beauty in the mirror, her scarf falling over her  shoulder most provocatively.  Images of Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva and Lord  Brahma embracing their consorts. The south side has an image of Varaha, depicted with a human body and a Boar head, emerging from the primeval waters carrying the earth Goddess Bhudevi on his arm. She has placed her hand affectionately on his snout as if to pat the Boar and thank him for rescuing her.

For more information and packages contact +91 9810506646

Office contact New Delhi (+05.30 GMT) 011 45725562, 45725563, 45725564

Callers from Outside India Call (+05.30 GMT) + 44 7700093414

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website: promarktravels.com

Blog : promarktravels.com/blog

Vishwanath Temple of Love Khajuraho Madhya Pradesh

Vishwanath Temple at Khajuraho built by the Chandela King Dhanga Deva  in 999 AD to 1002 AD . It was a panchayatana  shrine however of the four subsidiary shrines only two in the northeast and southwest corners have survived. The structure shows all the elements of a developed temple. The beauty of the temple lies in the depiction of the exquisite figures of women on the rock blocks  walls. The temple depicts more than 600 rock-images

Vishwanath Temple of Love Khajuraho Madhya Pradesh

Raised over a platform . This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva, has an exquisite marble Shivalinga    (it originally housed an emerald lingam)  as the main deity.  It is  believed that the temple celebrates the celestial marriage of Lord Shiva with Parvati.

Vishwanath Temple of Love Khajuraho Madhya Pradesh

An imposing  image of the three-headed Lord Brahma  also is enshrined in this temple. With lions adjoining the northern and elephants the southern steps , human figures are also depicted on both side of elephant  the exterior of temple walls are with Apsaras writing letters, playing music and a lovely one plucking a thorn from her foot, women are seen to caress a baby .

Lady early morning got up from bed

Couple in love

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On one of the walls there is a four-armed dancing Lord Ganesh, holding an Axe and broken tusk , in his right hands, and with his left hands holding a laddu (sweet) and extended in a boon-granting gesture. The sculpture of Lord Shiva ( with Trishula on right shoulder  and snake on left shoulder ) can also be seen on outer  wall .

Lord Shiva with Parvati and Lord Brhama with three heads

 

For more information and packages Contact +91 9810506646

Callers from Outside India Call +44 7700093414

Office contact : (+05.30GMT) 011 45725562, 45725563, 45725564

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website :http://promarktravels.com

Blog : http://promarktravels.com/blog 

 

Lakshmana Temple of Love Khajuraho Madhya Pradesh

Lakshmana Temple of Love Khajuraho Madhya Pradesh dedicated to Lord Vaikuntha Vishnu,it is a Vaishnava  temple, built by the Chandela King Yashovarman . Inscriptions on a slab excavated here installed in the passage  confirms its construction during 900 AD to 950 AD. It is the first temple in the Eastern Group of Temples The UNESCO World Heritage Site

Laxmana Temple Khajuraho

The Temple is raised in the center of a high rectangular  platform Jagati  with four small temples one on each corner hence called a Panchyatana Plan construction , the temple structure is built consisting of all the elements of a Hindu Temple Architecture , The Lakshman Temple stands like a giant mountain of stone at the center. The East facing temple , the porch has a pretty Toran or stone garland above the entrance leading to  the Mandapa  and then to the assembly area the Maha Mandapa , the main deity is installed in the Garbhagriha , the small area between the Mahamandapa and the Garbhagriha is the Antrayalya  , the devotees seek blessings standing in the Antrayalaya  . Its Shikhara ( the top) is clustered with small Urushringha . The main image Idol of Vaikantha Vishnu in the Garbahgriha  is with four arms and having three  faces , front is of a human , one side is Boar the third incarnation ( the Varaha) and the other side is of a Lion the forth incarnation of the Lord Vishnu ( the Narsinmha ).

Dancing Lord Ganesha , Row of Elephants holding the entire weight of temple on their shoulders , Lakshmana temple Khajuraho

There is an abundance of sculptured masterpieces on its outer walls on the south side  the exterior temple wall is divided into several bands ,  the lowest  is the base of the temple , a row of elephants that peep out of the base as if they are carrying the weight of the stone on their stable shoulders, between the elephants are warriors protecting the temple ,  panel depicts a bearded Fire God( Agni Dev) beneath is the figure of the divine bridegroom walking in procession accompanied by musicians.  It is only here out of all the temples in Khajuraho the Camels are carved. 

Two Camels at Laxmana Temple Khajuraho

On the north side one of the elephant naughtily gazes at a couple making love .

Elephant forgets to crush the person , laughing at couple in love act Lakshmana Temple Khajuraho

 Above the elephants  there are  carved  flowers and leaf motifs, a narrow panel depicting court life and erotic scenes ,  tall base of the temple is decorated with   ornamental niches, with an adorable figure of dancing Lord Ganesh in the first followed by images of the seven principal male deities of the Hindu Gods . There are images of the Dikhpalas placed at and facing the directions that they Protect . Beside the deities are the gorgeous  figures of women, each engaged in some worldly activity before she realizes the presence of the divine surrounding her .

Love making Couple with helpers playing music

 portrayals of women attired in traditional costume, flimsy fine textiles wound around the waist while the torso and arms and neck are adorned only in jewelry. There are ladies applying make-up, taking off their clothes, gazing into a mirror , a seductive woman scrubbing her arched back  an elegant young woman who has lifted up her foot  is being inspected by an attendant carrying a satchel.

For More Information and Packages Contact  +91 9810506646

Callers from Outside India Contact +44 7700093414

Office contact (+05.30 GMT)  011 45725562 , 45725563, 45725564

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website : promarktravels.com

Blog : promark@promarktravels.com 

Shalabhanjika , Monalisa in Stone , Museum , Gwalior Fort

Shalabhanjika  is a price less  stone statue of a lady of World fame Ancient India art work recovered from Gyaraspur near Sanchi and Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh now kept in the museum of Gwalior Fort under high security , special permission is required from the Archaeological Survey of India to visit this particular  chamber.

There were two such sculpted statues installed at the entrance of Sanchi Stupa , during the raids of Mugal King Aurangzeb’s army  one of it was destroyed and this one was thrown in the forests of Gyaraspur, later to be recovered in 19th Century . In early 1980 a  Visitor French Tourist Group named it Monalisa in Stone

Shalabhanjika , Museum , Gwalior Fort

The beauty of this stone statue is the creation of very clear strange smile on a face by the sculpture , it is probably sculpted during 10 – 11 th  AD , the waist holds lower garment across her broad hips and her full bloomed body which  has a bare torso  with a  pearl necklace around her neck , a long necklace falling between her breasts and then one chain going down up to her naval . Eyes and bowed eyebrows , sharp nose , ear rings , her hair with bun decorated with jewelry and precious stones . The lady seems to be standing under a Saal tree holding a branch . She is also known as the Tree Goddess . The Sanskrit name Shalabhanjika means “A lady breaking Saal branch”

Shalabhanjika

Shalabhanjika are found mostly at the entrances of Stupa . The sandstone beams across the gateways were held up by bracket figures like this, representing female tree spirits called Yakshika . In an ancient  Indian fertility rite, beautiful young girls were said to usher in spring by kicking a tree trunk while breaking off a branch, so as to arouse it into blossoming. the Shalabhanjika Yakshika serves as a fertility symbol associated with the spirit of the tree and earth to ensure the auspiciousness of the site where the Stupa is built.

 

For more information and packages contact + 91 9810506646

Callers from outside India + 44 7700093414

Office contact : (+05.30 GMT) 011  45725562 , 45725563 , 45725564

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Blog : www.promarktravels.com/blog 

 

 

Lakhpat City, Kutch,Gujarat

Lakhpat once a port on the Arabian sea at the junction of Kori creek and Rann of Kutch. It was abandoned after the 1819 AD strong earthquake which changed the flow of  Sindhu (Indus) River  towards further North and a natural dam known as the Allahbund  was formed due to which the Great Rann got dried up . It is in north-west corner of Kutch is an almost dilapidated old town that speaks of a glorious past. Lakhpat, the literal meaning of which is city of millionaires is now nothing, but a small village that is inhabited by a few hundreds and serves as an outpost of the India Border Security Force ( BSF) facing Pakistan. If weather is clear one can see the notorious Harami Nalah from the post

Bhuj waro Nako , Entrance Lakhpat town , Kutch, Gujarat

Lakhpat is surrounded by a 7 km fortified wall , believed to have been built by Rao Lakhpatji in the middle of the 18th century and extended further under the supervision of the Army Commander Fatheh Mohmmad in 1801 AD. to defend the kingdom as well as the port from invasions by Sindhi rulers, the walls of the fort are still intact for the most part. The Bhuj Waro Nako , gate opens towards Bhuj , collection on Toll both here  from the  visitors and traders was 1 Lakh Kori to the Lakhpat town , it was well guarded by soldiers. Near Lakhpat was Koteri (Kotri) a landing place on the bank of river  Sindhu ( Indus ) where  ferryboats regularly sailed ,  loaded with cattle and merchandise. From Koteri, the goods were transported on camels to the eastern part of the Indus delta, and distributed throughout the inhabited districts of the Thar.

 

Lakhpat , fortified walls , Rann Kutch Kori creek side

Guru Nanak Dev ji stayed at Lakhpat  during his trips to Mecca and Medina (Saudi Arabia). This place was a  seat of the Udasi Panth until 1972 under the Last Sevadar Baba Mool Dass Hari Dass . ( Udasi Panth  was founded by Sri Chand son of Guru Nanak Dev Ji  ) . Rare treasures are  preserved  including the “Charan Paduka” – Khadvas (wooden footwear) that belonged to Guru Nanak Dev ji.  The present structure is plastered and painted but old wooden doors, pillars and roof are intact and converted into a Gurudwara , there are few lines scripted in LariGurmukhi on walls, it came out when layers of plaster was removed, this script is no more in use. In 16th century it was an important departure point for Muslims making Hajj to Medina and Mecca  at that time Lakhpat was known as “Basta Bander”

Gurudwara Lakhpat , Kutch, Gujarat

A Sufi Saint Pir Gaus Mohammad equally respected by Hindu and Muslim community A Thirteenth Hijra century poet- lived in Lakhpat, Kutch, Sindh. He passed away in 1873 AD / 1290 AH  he was known as a great healer and for his songs about Lord Krishna. Pir Manthar Shah was a contemporary poet and an associate to Pir Ghous Mohammed also lived in Lakhpat . A black stone structure is having beautiful carvings ,  It is an octagonal, domed structure with four entrances, the inner walls are decorated with verses from the Koran using beautiful calligraphy.

 

                                                                       
Pir Gaus Mohammad Tomb / Kuba

There another beautiful white stone carvings  tomb of  Hazrat Pir Abu Turab Kadri with Central big dome and eight smaller domes , beautiful wooden carved doors and Jalis , he died in 1236 AH

Tomb of Hazrat Pir Shah Abu Turab Kadri

 

Hatkeshwar Temple Lakhpat , Gujarat

Hatkeshwar Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva  houses fossilized shells . There are three Talavs (Water bodies) inside the fort  Brahmasar, Nagrai and Champasar ,  the first  two when over flowed  fill the third. All the Talavs receives fresh rainwater and has been a source of drinking water the first two Talav were used for bathing and washing purposes. Champasar Talav water was used for cattle and animals .

There are about 70 Muslim families and 10 Hindu families  living in Lakhpat and all Muslim and Hindu festivals are celebrated together , in particular the Navaratri festival when the entire Lakhpat performs the Dandia dances together for eight nights as told  by Abu Bhai only postman of  Lakhpat , till 2005 there was a post office which is now shifted to Gadudi 20 km away, most of the families are in fishing and few are in agriculture job .

 For more information and packages contact  +91-9810506646

Callers outside India +44 7700093414

Office contact (+05.30 GMT) 011  45725562 , 45725563 , 45725564

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

website : promarktravels.com

Blog : promarktravels.com/blog

 

Abhaneri Step-Well: Architectural Wonder of 8th century

No Comments

Abhaneri – A Small Village near Jaipur, Rajasthan

Abhaneri is a small village in Rajasthan near Jaipur, while driving on National Highway 11A towards Agra, after crossing Dausa at Sikandara take a left turn on a State Highway 25 to Bandikui, then turn right at Gular Chauraha  for Abhaneri, total distance from Jaipur is 96 Kms, upon entering into the Abhaneri, first visible structure is a ruins of a Hindu temple of Goddess Harshat Mata built in 7-8th century AD, considered to be Goddess of Joy and Happiness, it is built on a double platform, on the walls are the statues & sculptures of Gods and Goddesses which depict images from daily life, built by King Chand, ruins of the temple still boasts the architectural and sculptural richness of medieval India, this city was known as “Abha Nagari“.
The Harshad Mata Temple built around 7-8 century AD
The Harshat Mata Temple built around 7-8 century AD
The walls of the temple carved with images and sculptures of Gods and Goddesses depicting images from daily life
The walls of the temple carved with images and sculptures of Gods and Goddesses depicting images from daily life

Chand Baori, A Step-Well

Just next to the temple is a enclosed rectangular courtyard type of structure, upon entering one reaches a Jharokha and coming down stairs on left one can see, the Baori (Step-Well)  on right, something which is unique to India, it is a water reservoir which not only has water also respite from heat in dry summers it is about 64 ft deep narrowing towards the bottom criss-crossing steps provided with double flight of steps on three sides reach the the water surface, it is one of the deepest and the largest step-well in India, the geometrical pattern of stairs gives the different magical images of the stairs, the light and shadow makes one spell bound, the stairs are on the three sides while on the one  side are the three storied pavilion with beautiful carved jharokhas, the galleries supported on Pillars and two projecting balconies enshrining beautiful sculptures. This surrounding area is semi desert, shrubs and small trees mainly the Kikar and Ber (Ber Berry), Amla (Goose berry) are found, there are only two seasonal rivers Banganga and Morle, agriculture is totally dependent on rains and ground water. Chand Raja was from the Gujara Pratihara clan claiming to be the descendant of Lord Ram’s younger brother Laxman, they were at their peak during 6-10th century AD, almost North of India, founder of this dynasty was Raja Hari Chandra and once dominated the Rajasthan, their capital city was Mandore near Jodhpur, during this period open pavilion temples were built the best examples are the temples are at Khajuraho in Madhya Paradesh and Osian in Rajasthan.
The beautiful arched hallway in front of the step-well adds to the beauty of Abhaneri Step-Well
The beautiful arched hallway in front of the step-well adds to the beauty of Abhaneri Step-Well
The front view of the Abhaneri Step-Well, A Marvelous piece of Architecture
[quote]The front view of the Abhaneri Step-Well, A Marvelous piece of Architecture[/quote] Full view of the stairs of the Abhaneri Step-Well, which gives a sense of magical touch
Full view of the stairs of the Abhaneri Step-Well, which gives a sense of magical touch
A closer look on the double flight stairs of the Abhaneri Step-Well
A closer look on the double flight stairs of the Abhaneri Step-Well
The magical look of the stairs in the Step-Well, Only good architecture can explain that!
The magical look of the stairs in the Step-Well

 

Anil Kumar Rajput – Managing Director at Promark Travel, is in the travel trade since 1980, Hes has worked in India and abroad. A boxer, a Rifle Shooter and a Para Jumper in his college days, as a Boy Scout and NCC cadet, attended camps at many places which developed his interest in traveling and to explore new places, trekking and photography, loves driving to adventurous places , owns a business (promarktravels.com) which caters all the travel needs of it’s clients. Connect with him on Facebook (htttp://www.facebook.com/anil.k.rajput) and Twitter (@PromarkTravels)
[/author]

Jaisalmer , City and Fort , Rajasthan

No Comments
Jaisalmer Fort

Jaisalmer Fort

 

 

Jaisalmer a World Heritage City founded atop the Trikuta Hill in 1156 AD by Maha Rawal Jaisal Singh a Bhati Rajput , Sixth in his ruling generation, the earlier city was Loduvra , still has a Jain temple remembering its past .

A yellow stone which is available in abundant around  is used in the architecture of this city . It has given the identity of being named as Sonar Qila   or The Golden City of India .

World famous Balcony in stone at Patwa Haveli, Jaisalmer Fort

This city had a strategic location on route for trading caravans en route Persia , Middle East , Egypt ,Africa , Sindh ,  North and Central of India carrying Silk and Spices .

The Bhati Rajputs are Chandravanshi claims to be decedents of Lord Krishna , In 1293 AD the Turk emperor Ala Ud Din Khilji invaded India and captured the Fort , the Bhati Royal families migrated for safety to various places like Jaisal , Larkana , Talwandi . It was after 1627 AD when Mughal Emperor Shajahan took over , the Rawal Sahal Singh  acknowledge  his patronage and then in 1818 AD the King Mulraj accepted the political alliance with the British . After the 1947 AD the creation of independent India and Pakistan the trade route was shifted to Mumbai port and city lost its importance as a trade route.

Main entrace Toran gate Jain temple , Fort Jaisalmer

In Jaisalmer water is scarce as it is part of Thar Desert  it is almost entirely a sandy waste . There are no perennial streams, and only one small river Kakni  which flows for about 48 km and then vanishes into Rann Kutch . Amar Sagar was the water reservoir used as a main source of water which got dried up due to increase in demand for agriculture .

House , living Museum , Fort Jaisalmer

In 1367 AD Rawal Gadsi Singh excavated a lake now known as Gadsisar Lake  a water conservation tank to fulfill the water requirements of this dry city, till 1970 AD before the Rajasthan Canal came in , it was the main source of water for Jaisalmer 

Gadsisar Lake , Jaisalmer , Rajasthan

This city remained strategically important due to skirmishes between India and Pakistan , roads , rail head and the Rajasthan Canal served to revive the surrounding desert areas.

Kanoi Village , Desert Spring Camp at Sand Dunes

Tourism is a major industry in Jaisalmer , famous for its Sand Dunes , Desert wild life , Camping , Camel and Jeep  Safaris  around Jaisalmer attracts tourists from all over the world.

Sunset at Kanoi , Sand Dunes, Desert Spring camp

Tourists from all over the world come and stay at Desert Spring Camp to have an  experience of Sunset and Sunrise in the Thar Desert .

For More information and Packages contact +91 9810506646

Callers from Outside India + 44 7700093414

Office contact (05.30 GMT)  011 45725562 , 45725563 , 45725564

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website : kanoi.promarktravels.com , promarktravels.com 

Blog : promark@promarktravels.com/blog

 

 

Sani Gompa, Monastery , Zanskar,Ladakh

Sani Gompa Monastery of Ladakh also known as Turtot Gyat situated on the road to Kargil, at a distance of approximately 6 km to the west of Padum. belongs to the Drukpa Kagyupa School,  it is believed that the monastery was associated with Kanishka, Kushan ruler of 2nd century AD because of  the Kanika Stupa in the back yard and construction like a fort,  the gompa is not built on a hill or mountain but on flat land. It is in the form of a castle and the Kanishka chorten is in the backyard of the enclosing stone walls with chortens mounted at intervals. Next to the Kanishka chorten are ten standing stones with engravings of deities in a pre-Tibetan style.  The entire Sani Monastery of Ladakh has been constructed in parts, each dating back to a different century. The chorten inside the oldest part of Sani Monastery is believed to be erected in the 2nd century AD. On the other hand, the Dukhang (assembly hall) of the monastery is said to be constructed in the early 17th century.

Sani Gompa , Monastery

the famous Indian Yogi Naropa. It is believed that the Yogi meditated under the Kanishka Stupa, situated in the backyard of the monastery. The same spot, where the Yogi sat in meditation, now houses a small room with a veiled bronze statue of the Yogi. It is on displayed on the eve of the Naro-Nasjal Festival every year in late July  or  in the first week of August, between the 15th and the 20th of the sixth Tibetan month. It takes place during the blooming of the  Guru Neropa Flower, the Lamas from Bardan Monastery perform masked dances as ritual offering. a magnificent plantation of huge old poplars adjoining the gompa is unusual as this region is mostly treeless

Stupa at Sani Gompa back yard

The Dukhang (assembly hall) of the monastery is said to be constructed in the early 17th century. The central praying hall is situated in the main building of the monastery and stands ornamented with a rich collection of the statues of popular Buddhist divinities and Kargud-pa high lamas ,the walls of the praying hall are decorated with frescoes and Thangkas. The Assembly Hall or Dukhang has 16 columns and houses images of Chamba, Chenren and Padmasambhava as well as others. Behind the altar is the Gongkhang, a small room containing an ancient figure of Cho Rinpoche

This place is also among the  eight most important cremation grounds of Tibetan Buddhists is outside the monastery complex and the cemetery is ringed with ancient rock-carvings which show Indian influences there is also a  two metre high boulder with a painting of Maitrya on it  the pilgrims pour the sacrificial oil over it .

Drukpa  Kargyu school  is the only one of this order in Zanskar which has nuns, A group of Kargyu nuns established a small retreat centre at Starkhugnza in the 1990s ,  It is a site above Sani which was founded by Ngawang Tsering (1657-1732), a famous Zanskar meditator.

One can see the white opening to a cave in a cliff across the river from the monastery where Padmasambhava is also said to have meditated for several years and it is still used as a meditation cell

Every year in the winters a Great Prayer Festival is held in which the  firewood provided by villagers of the surrounding villages in which prayers from the Tibetan holy books are chanted.

For more information contact +91-9810506646

Callers from Outside India + 44 7700093414

Email: promark@promarktravels.com

Website: www.promarktravels.com

Blog: www.promarktravels.com/blog

 

 

Alchi Monastery , Ladakh

Alchi monastery is situated on a low land unlike the other monasteries which are constructed on  high lands or hilocks it is situated on a down stream 70 kms from Leh about 6 km from the main Leh Srinagar Highway on the banks of Indus river in the Alchi village at a height of 3100 meters from sea , it is one of the oldest well preserved dates back to about 1000 years, main attraction is thousands of minature paintings of lord Budha on a wall three large clay images of Budha in bright colours, past 500 years no religious activity has taken place here it is looked after by a monk from the Likir monastery.  The monasteries of this period did not belong to any of the established Tibetan schools, they were initially brought under the control of the Kadampa  Sect . When the condition of the monasteries deteriorated, they were mostly taken over by the Gelukpa Sect .

Wooden carvings at main entrance , Alchi monastry

Alchi is part of three villages the other two villages are Mangdu and Sumnda Chun . It was built between 958 AD – 1055AD by the great translator Guru Rinchen Zangpo, assembly hall and the main temple is three storied are built in Kashmiri style, Manjushri is the third temple , there is a huge statue of lord Budha , walls of temple have the oldest preserved paintings of that time and reflects the Hindu and Budhist artistic and spritual details, there were 108 monasteries built in the trans Himalyan region to spread  Vajrayana Budhism from Tibet also known as Lamaism , Kashmiri artists were engaged to create sculptures and paintings .

Manjushri Temple, also called ‘Jampe Lhakhang‘, is built around the four central images of Manjushri (seated back to back) seen on a common platform each of the four images is single-headed with four arms that are adorned with a sword, a book on top of a lotus, a bow and an arrow. Each wall in the shrine is dedicated to a Buddha image. Manjushri is depicted on the main wall, seated on a lion throne; the side walls have images of Amitabha  on the right and Aksharabhya on the left. The images are set around the central image of Manjushri in a niche in the wall. Manjushri is adorned with jewellery (pearls and other moulded forms) and a crown made of a flower band. In the base of the throne on which the Manjushri image is deified, is a depiction of ‘Seven Jewels’ and ‘Eight Suspicious Symbols’ (flanked by lions) enclosed in a square frame that is distinctive. The top of the throne frame has Makara mountings.

Alchi Monasrty , Information display

This village is very fertile and it is all green with apricot trees on both side of road. This region had influence of Islam , Hinduism and Budhism because it falls on the route to Turkestan of China but its isolation helped the village and gompa to keep their cultural traditions safe from the outer influnces. The effect of Tibetian culture can be seen here , there are five shrines in the Choskor temple complex.

Green fertile land at Alchi Village

Alchi , ages old Chortens

These chortens are decorated gateways known locally as Kakani Chorten  are considered unique to Alchi with historical link to other monuments. More chortens were added between the 13th and 14th centuries. In the Alchi complex, there are also three other chortens, which have ancient paintings .

For more information and packages contact +91-09810506646

Email : promark@promarktravels.com 

Website: www.promarktravels.com

Blog: www.promarktravels.com/blog

Shey Gompa , Monastery Palace, Leh , Ladakh

Shey is on Leh Manali road , located near Thikse monastery on a hillock about 15 kms from Leh. Large number of rock carvings, stupas and monastries are on this road , it has also the biggest Chorten field with hundreds of various size of shrines scattered across the desert land scape . Shey Palace and Gompa complex was built in around  1650 AD by the King Deldon Namgyal used it as a summer retreat by the kings of Ladakh, it is in ruins now. Shey Monastery was built in the memory of his father Singay Namgyal within the palace complex .

It is famous for the giant statue of Shakyamuni Budha second largest in Ladakh made of Copper with gold plating. Dogras of Jammu invaded Leh in 1834 Namgyal King abandoend Shey and made Stok acrossed the Indus river as their permanent residence.

Shey Palace Leh , Ladakh

It is famous for the giant statue of Shakyamuni Budha second largest in Ladakh made of Copper with gold plating. Dogras of Jammu invaded Leh in 1834 Namgyal King abandoend Shey and made Stok acrossed the Indus river as their permanent residence.Sahakyamuni Budha statue is 12 meters in height the wall behind has the immage of Sariputra and Maudgalyayana the two disciples of Lord Budha, walls around the statue are painted with images, this statue in the monastry is in three levels , the lowest level shows the sole pointing upwards, murals of Shambunath on middle floor are  in different postures of Budha, the upper dark floor is having butter lamps that burns eternally at altar. Number of wall paintings are displayed on the upper floor , lower flower is has a library and murals of Budha in various hand gestures ( mudras).the temple is constructed in such a way to allow lots of sun light to falls on the walls directly because of this the murals look bright.

Some distance from the palace is a small shrine built by Sengge Namgyal it houses Sakyamuni large statue in sitting position , here murals and images are similar to the palace shrine it also depicts the 16 Arhats the original deciples of the Budha along with the teachers Padmasambhava , Atisa and Tson-Ka-Pa , carvings are seen on rocks on road to the palace they are of Dhyani Budha one near the palace and other four near the chorten .  All these were crafted by the sculptor from Nepal Sanga Zargar Wanduk and few others their decedents are still living in a village called Chilling.

The official residence (phatong) Lama of the monastery is at the edge of valley and there is a beautiful sight of Indus valley.

There are two  festivals held here every year. The first festival is held at Shey Palace on the 26th and 27th day of the first month of the Tibeten Calander which falls in July or August month  This festival is called “Shey Doo Lhoo” to mark the beginning of the sowing season. The two day monastic celebration is marked by special rituals performed by the monks in the main monastery.  Villagers throng to the monastery in large numbers in a spirit of celebration . The second festival is called the “Shey Rupla” that marks the harvesting season. On this occasion farmers offer the first fruits of the corn at the monastery. A dance called the “Rhupla dance” is performed by two men in tiger costumes. Other forms of folk dances are also performed.

There is a belief that women without children offer special prayers here to Buddha seeking blessings to beget children.

Shey Chortens

Close to the palace is the funeral ground. The dead are carried in a chair after due rites are performed at home. The body is placed on a chair then carried to the funeral ground in a procession of Lamas and the common people of the village. The chair is then laid in a “tubular walled oven”, as prayers are chanted. The ashes are later scattered in the river.

For more details and packages contact +91-09810506646

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website : www.promarktravels.com

Blog : www.promarktravels.com/blog