Gurudwara Pahli Patshahi, Lakhpat, Gujarat

No Comments

Situated 171 km from Bhuj , Lakhpat is a  city of ruins of buildings , once it use to be a flourishing town within a seven km fortress wall protected and guarded by the soldiers . It use to be a port on the mouth of river Sindhu ( Indus) on Arabian Sea. This city was established by Rao Lakha Ji and wall to protect the city was erected under the supervision of  Fort Commander  Fatheh Mohmmad in 1801 AD . The earth quake in the year 1819 changed the course of Sindhu River it drifted further to west about 50 km and this city lost its importance as a port.

Gurudwara Paheli Patshahi , Lakhpat , Gujarat

Lakhpat was also called Basta Bander and was part of Sindh till 1947 . Historically it has been very important trading post connecting Gujarat to Sindh. The waters of Sindhu River used to flow into Lakhpat and further onto Deshalpar  travelers were using this port for travel to Persia , Basra and Saudi Arabia , it was famous for Muslim pilgrims traveling for Hajj to Mecca and Madena in Saudi Arabia  , Guru Nanak Dev Ji who started travelling ( Udasis )  at the age of thirty with his Muslim companion Mardana who played Rabab instrument  to preach about his views the message of GOD in local languages , during his Udasis in 1506-1513 AD  and 1519-1521 AD he stayed in Lakhpat on his way to Mecca and Madina .

Door to the Compound

Until 1972 this place where Guru Nanak Dev Ji stayed was a   Satnami Udasi Dera . Satnami  Udasi sect was established  by Sri Chand  elder son of Guru Nanak Dev Ji , The Udasi Sect principles were more close to the the Yogis way of life, staying away from the mortal world where as Guru Nanak Dev Ji teachings were with the normal family way of life ,  the last care takers were Baba Mool Dass Hari Dass until 1972  The Udasis Sect. claimed to be followers of Guru Nanak Dev Ji . The Sindhi and Sikh community who were settled in nearby  cities after the partition of India , requested the Govt. to hand over the place to them , it was handed over with the condition that its original structure will not be changed as it is a Historical Heritage property .

The Gurdawara was restored to its present  state by the  efforts of United Nations volunteer program and the locals of nearby areas. It has the unique distinction of being awarded the Asia Pacific Heritage Conservation award for the year 2004 by UNESCO

Varanda and door to the Gurudwara

The 200 years old building a courtyard structure with a nakkar khana ( drums beating enclosure)  constructed in limestone, the Gurdwara has elephants, flowers, Chabutras, statues in human and animal form embedded to its walls. The wooden doors , pillars and roof was carefully cleaned of over paint of enamel ,natural chemicals were  used to preserve the age old structures ,  best thing came out when the layers of white wash lime were removed the inscription on wall in Lariwar Gurmukhi  which is extinct from Punjab  was found , it was written by the pilgrims about their stay their visit to other places of pilgrimage and their names in bright ink about 200 years ago.

Original Wooden pillars and ceiling

The Gurudwara was damaged in the year 2000 AD by a strong Cyclone and then by earthquake in 2001 AD

 

Wooden Sandals of Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Here in one room the Charan Paduka or Khadaun ( Wooden Sandals) and a wooden Palki suppose to be used by Guru Nanak Dev Ji are kept with high respect , there are two manuscripts belonging to the heads of  Udasi sect.

More than 200 years old Lariwar Gurmukhi  on wall of Gurudwara

There are no hotels or staying facilities or meals available in the ruined city but one can stay a night at gurudwara   and have food from the community kitchen the Langar .

Old Floral design on wall of Gurudwara

 

 For more information and packages contact +91- 9810506646

Callers from outside India +44 7700093414

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website: www.promarktravels.com

Blog : www.promarktravels.com/blog