Pathar Sahib Gurudwara , Leh, Ladakh

Pather Sahib gurdwara is located on Leh-Nimu road 25 km from Leh , this place is equally respected by Buddhist Lamas , Hindu and Sikhs .

Image Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji In rock

Guru Nanak Dev Ji traveled to Nepal, Tibet and Sikkim during 1515 – 1518,  on his return to Srinagar he stopped here and came to know about a demon who troubled the people in this area and wanted his help , to bring  him on the right path Guru Ji sat here in meditation, upon knowing , the demon rolled a big rock from the height to kill him but the rock upon touching Guru Ji’s body became soft as hot wax   the demon thought he had killed him and came down to kick the rock away , to his surprise his own feet got embedded in the soft rock and also saw Guru Ji alive , he realized his mistake  touch Guru ji’s feet , asked for the forgiveness and promised to serve the people for good , since then until 1965 the local people preserved the rock and worshiped it they fondly call Guru Ji as Nanak Lama .

Guru Nanak Dev Ji meditated here

The construction of road by the army in 1965 it was seen as a  hurdle in making the road and wanted to remove it but this rock could not be moved , mean while the driver of bulldozer and Army Officer Commander of the team  dreamed of some one instructing them not to remove it from this place, upon knowing the story from the locals the Indian Army constructed a Gurudwara and till now it is managed by the Indian Army.

For more details and packages contact +91-9810506646

Callers from Outside India + 44 7700093414

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website :promarktravels.com

Blog : promarktravels.com/blog 

Lakhpat City, Kutch,Gujarat

Lakhpat once a port on the Arabian sea at the junction of Kori creek and Rann of Kutch. It was abandoned after the 1819 AD strong earthquake which changed the flow of  Sindhu (Indus) River  towards further North and a natural dam known as the Allahbund  was formed due to which the Great Rann got dried up . It is in north-west corner of Kutch is an almost dilapidated old town that speaks of a glorious past. Lakhpat, the literal meaning of which is city of millionaires is now nothing, but a small village that is inhabited by a few hundreds and serves as an outpost of the India Border Security Force ( BSF) facing Pakistan. If weather is clear one can see the notorious Harami Nalah from the post

Bhuj waro Nako , Entrance Lakhpat town , Kutch, Gujarat

Lakhpat is surrounded by a 7 km fortified wall , believed to have been built by Rao Lakhpatji in the middle of the 18th century and extended further under the supervision of the Army Commander Fatheh Mohmmad in 1801 AD. to defend the kingdom as well as the port from invasions by Sindhi rulers, the walls of the fort are still intact for the most part. The Bhuj Waro Nako , gate opens towards Bhuj , collection on Toll both here  from the  visitors and traders was 1 Lakh Kori to the Lakhpat town , it was well guarded by soldiers. Near Lakhpat was Koteri (Kotri) a landing place on the bank of river  Sindhu ( Indus ) where  ferryboats regularly sailed ,  loaded with cattle and merchandise. From Koteri, the goods were transported on camels to the eastern part of the Indus delta, and distributed throughout the inhabited districts of the Thar.

 

Lakhpat , fortified walls , Rann Kutch Kori creek side

Guru Nanak Dev ji stayed at Lakhpat  during his trips to Mecca and Medina (Saudi Arabia). This place was a  seat of the Udasi Panth until 1972 under the Last Sevadar Baba Mool Dass Hari Dass . ( Udasi Panth  was founded by Sri Chand son of Guru Nanak Dev Ji  ) . Rare treasures are  preserved  including the “Charan Paduka” – Khadvas (wooden footwear) that belonged to Guru Nanak Dev ji.  The present structure is plastered and painted but old wooden doors, pillars and roof are intact and converted into a Gurudwara , there are few lines scripted in LariGurmukhi on walls, it came out when layers of plaster was removed, this script is no more in use. In 16th century it was an important departure point for Muslims making Hajj to Medina and Mecca  at that time Lakhpat was known as “Basta Bander”

Gurudwara Lakhpat , Kutch, Gujarat

A Sufi Saint Pir Gaus Mohammad equally respected by Hindu and Muslim community A Thirteenth Hijra century poet- lived in Lakhpat, Kutch, Sindh. He passed away in 1873 AD / 1290 AH  he was known as a great healer and for his songs about Lord Krishna. Pir Manthar Shah was a contemporary poet and an associate to Pir Ghous Mohammed also lived in Lakhpat . A black stone structure is having beautiful carvings ,  It is an octagonal, domed structure with four entrances, the inner walls are decorated with verses from the Koran using beautiful calligraphy.

 

                                                                       
Pir Gaus Mohammad Tomb / Kuba

There another beautiful white stone carvings  tomb of  Hazrat Pir Abu Turab Kadri with Central big dome and eight smaller domes , beautiful wooden carved doors and Jalis , he died in 1236 AH

Tomb of Hazrat Pir Shah Abu Turab Kadri

 

Hatkeshwar Temple Lakhpat , Gujarat

Hatkeshwar Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva  houses fossilized shells . There are three Talavs (Water bodies) inside the fort  Brahmasar, Nagrai and Champasar ,  the first  two when over flowed  fill the third. All the Talavs receives fresh rainwater and has been a source of drinking water the first two Talav were used for bathing and washing purposes. Champasar Talav water was used for cattle and animals .

There are about 70 Muslim families and 10 Hindu families  living in Lakhpat and all Muslim and Hindu festivals are celebrated together , in particular the Navaratri festival when the entire Lakhpat performs the Dandia dances together for eight nights as told  by Abu Bhai only postman of  Lakhpat , till 2005 there was a post office which is now shifted to Gadudi 20 km away, most of the families are in fishing and few are in agriculture job .

 For more information and packages contact  +91-9810506646

Callers outside India +44 7700093414

Office contact (+05.30 GMT) 011  45725562 , 45725563 , 45725564

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

website : promarktravels.com

Blog : promarktravels.com/blog

 

Gurudwara Pahli Patshahi, Lakhpat, Gujarat

No Comments

Situated 171 km from Bhuj , Lakhpat is a  city of ruins of buildings , once it use to be a flourishing town within a seven km fortress wall protected and guarded by the soldiers . It use to be a port on the mouth of river Sindhu ( Indus) on Arabian Sea. This city was established by Rao Lakha Ji and wall to protect the city was erected under the supervision of  Fort Commander  Fatheh Mohmmad in 1801 AD . The earth quake in the year 1819 changed the course of Sindhu River it drifted further to west about 50 km and this city lost its importance as a port.

Gurudwara Paheli Patshahi , Lakhpat , Gujarat

Lakhpat was also called Basta Bander and was part of Sindh till 1947 . Historically it has been very important trading post connecting Gujarat to Sindh. The waters of Sindhu River used to flow into Lakhpat and further onto Deshalpar  travelers were using this port for travel to Persia , Basra and Saudi Arabia , it was famous for Muslim pilgrims traveling for Hajj to Mecca and Madena in Saudi Arabia  , Guru Nanak Dev Ji who started travelling ( Udasis )  at the age of thirty with his Muslim companion Mardana who played Rabab instrument  to preach about his views the message of GOD in local languages , during his Udasis in 1506-1513 AD  and 1519-1521 AD he stayed in Lakhpat on his way to Mecca and Madina .

Door to the Compound

Until 1972 this place where Guru Nanak Dev Ji stayed was a   Satnami Udasi Dera . Satnami  Udasi sect was established  by Sri Chand  elder son of Guru Nanak Dev Ji , The Udasi Sect principles were more close to the the Yogis way of life, staying away from the mortal world where as Guru Nanak Dev Ji teachings were with the normal family way of life ,  the last care takers were Baba Mool Dass Hari Dass until 1972  The Udasis Sect. claimed to be followers of Guru Nanak Dev Ji . The Sindhi and Sikh community who were settled in nearby  cities after the partition of India , requested the Govt. to hand over the place to them , it was handed over with the condition that its original structure will not be changed as it is a Historical Heritage property .

The Gurdawara was restored to its present  state by the  efforts of United Nations volunteer program and the locals of nearby areas. It has the unique distinction of being awarded the Asia Pacific Heritage Conservation award for the year 2004 by UNESCO

Varanda and door to the Gurudwara

The 200 years old building a courtyard structure with a nakkar khana ( drums beating enclosure)  constructed in limestone, the Gurdwara has elephants, flowers, Chabutras, statues in human and animal form embedded to its walls. The wooden doors , pillars and roof was carefully cleaned of over paint of enamel ,natural chemicals were  used to preserve the age old structures ,  best thing came out when the layers of white wash lime were removed the inscription on wall in Lariwar Gurmukhi  which is extinct from Punjab  was found , it was written by the pilgrims about their stay their visit to other places of pilgrimage and their names in bright ink about 200 years ago.

Original Wooden pillars and ceiling

The Gurudwara was damaged in the year 2000 AD by a strong Cyclone and then by earthquake in 2001 AD

 

Wooden Sandals of Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Here in one room the Charan Paduka or Khadaun ( Wooden Sandals) and a wooden Palki suppose to be used by Guru Nanak Dev Ji are kept with high respect , there are two manuscripts belonging to the heads of  Udasi sect.

More than 200 years old Lariwar Gurmukhi  on wall of Gurudwara

There are no hotels or staying facilities or meals available in the ruined city but one can stay a night at gurudwara   and have food from the community kitchen the Langar .

Old Floral design on wall of Gurudwara

 

 For more information and packages contact +91- 9810506646

Callers from outside India +44 7700093414

Email : promark@promarktravels.com

Website: www.promarktravels.com

Blog : www.promarktravels.com/blog